Do kids need to take vitamin supplement?
In general, kids that eat a healthy, well-balanced diet do not need vitamin supplements. However, kids who are at risk of vitamin deficiencies will need to take vitamin supplements. Those at risk of vitamin deficiencies include:
- Kids who are not eating regular, healthy balanced meals
- Kids with food allergy or chronic medical conditions such as digestive problems which causes difficulty in absorbing vitamins and minerals
- Kids on a vegetarian or a vegan diet, or a dairy-free diet
Kids eating plenty of fast food and processed food!
Protein – Eggs, beans, lean meat, soy products
Fruits – encourage eating fresh fruits rather than fruit juice
Vegetables – green, leafy vegetables
Grains – whole grains, quinoa, oatmeal
Dairy – milk, yoghurt, cheese
What are the essential vitamin and minerals for growing children?
Vitamin A – essential for vision, immune system, and regulation of cell growth
Vitamin B Complex – to help metabolism, energy, healthy heart and nervous system
Vitamin C – to help body resist infection, wound healing, healthy gums and bones
Vitamin D – to enhance calcium absorption in order to build strong bones and teeth
Vitamin E – to strengthen body immune system, protecting cells and tissues from damage
Calcium – to build strong bones and teeth
Iron – essential for healthy red blood cells that carry oxygen throughout the body
What other nutrition are important for children’s health and growth?
DHA – for brain development and vision
GABA – a type of amino acid that support nervous system
Inulin and probiotics – to support healthy digestive system
Lutein – for healthy eye development and protection
Lysine – for energy and appetite
1) Vitamins and Minerals for Healthy Children 2018, WebMD https://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/vitamins-for-kids-do-healthy-kids-need-vitamins#1 (accessed 1st June 2019)
2) 6 Vitamins and Minerals Your Kids Need 2013. WebMD https://www.webmd.com/health-insurance/features/family-vitamins#1 (accessed 1st June 2019)
3) Vitamins for Kids 2019. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamins-for-kids#nutrient-needs (accessed 1st June 2019)