Cholesterol is a waxy, fat-like substance that’s found in all the cells in your body. But body needs some cholesterol to make hormones, vitamin D, and substances that help you digest foods. It can be found in food from animal source.
Risk factor of high cholesterol
- Poor diet
- Eat a low-salt diet that emphasizes fruits, vegetables and whole grains
- Limit the amount of animal fats and use good fats in moderation
- Lose extra pounds and maintain a healthy weight
- Quit smoking
- Exercise on most days of the week for at least 30 minutes
- Drink alcohol in moderation, if at all
- Manage stress
Control cholesterol level with diet
- Limit saturated fat and choose more healthier fats from lean meats, nuts and canola oil
- Reduce intake of high cholesterol food. Reduce intake the inner organ of animal and seafood.
- Increase soluble fibre intake. Help to prevent absorb cholesterol. Example of food such as wholegrain cereal and legumes.
- Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.
- Eat food with high omega-3 content or take fish oil supplement.
- Limit salt intake
- Limit alcohol intake
Yayasan Jantung Malaysia
Nur Fadhliana Binti Zakaria (Nutritionist)