BETSY THOMAS (Pharmacist)
Definition : Process of adopting long-term lifestyle modification to maintain a healthy body weight on the basis of a person’s age, sex and height.
Assessment of body weight using BMI ( body mass index).
BMI = Weight (in kg)/( Height (in meter) x height (meter) )
18.5 or less – Underweight
18.5-24.9 – Normal
25-30 – Overweight
30 or more – Obese
How to maintain a healthy body weight:
- Choose a healthy eating plan that includes a variety of food based on Malaysian Food Pyramid
- Be active. Moderate exercise for a total of 30min a day (4-5times a week). Shorter durations are acceptable but try to make it 30min/day.
How to Gain Weight Healthily
Smart snacking: Choose snack that add calorie, vitamin and minerals.
Choose foods high in calories: Take high energy diet for weight gain. An underweight person must be frequently encouraged to eat, even when not hungry.
Avoid skipping meals: Main meals should not be skipped and healthy snacks are encouraged.
What causes overweight and obesity:
- Consumption of food high in fat
- Other disorders : Drug treatment, disease such as hypothyroidsm, Cushings disease and hypothalamic tumors
- Hormonal inbalance
Health risk associated with obesity
- Cardiovascular disease and hypertension
- Endocrine problems
- Gall bladder disease
- Pulmonary disease
- Exercise regularly
- Eat reasonable amount.